Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thing 21

1.  A flipped classroom provides another venue for students to learn information taught in class or to gain a different perspective on the topics discussed in class.   It also provides a way for students to recapture information  they might have missed in their notes and refreshes  their brain cells on the material.    

For my classes, this would be helpful in cutting down some of the following:
 "How did you do that?"
"Could you do that again?"
"I need help but can't come in after school because _________________"

Also, a flipped classroom could be an excellent project for students to create their own screencasts explaining various topics to their peers in ways that allow their peers to gain a better understanding of the material.


2 & 3

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cli3e9dCT

First of all, this screencast took much longer to make than I thought.   Secondly, I stopped counting my re-recordings after ten.  Just didn't realize how nervous I could get with recording my own voice on a screencast for the world to listen.  Anyway, I showed this screencast to my mom, a retired educator in Michigan and Florida, since I created it while chillin' out with her and my G-ma (grandma).  :)    Of course she enjoyed it since I'm her child but she also pointed out some of the same things I noticed that  would need correcting for the next time.   We both agreed that I paused too long in some parts as well as used the words and and so more than what was needed.  I know the pausing was the result of me trying to remember what to say during those moments.

The next time I do a screencast I might write out a brief outline of what I am going to say so that I do not pause too long or show my hesitation vocally.  I would also go through a couple of dry runs prior to doing the recording so I avoid doing what I did for this screencast.


Overall, I would definitely do more screencasts to add to the resources that are available to my students in order  for them to be successful in their math class.






1 comment:

  1. Trina,

    As for retakes with your videos, practice will make perfect. It takes some time, but I promise that it gets easier.

    Nice work this summer. I can tell that you can learned a lot from this course and I hope that you will be able to apply some of these things to your classes this upcoming school year. Please also remember that you can contact me if you need any additional help.

    Thank you for participating in 21 Things this summer. We look forward to seeing you at future PD at Kent ISD.

    ReplyDelete