Sunday, July 15, 2012

Thing 16

1.  The pair of databases that I took a look at were InfoTrac Junior Edition and InfoTrac Student Edition.  What I decided to search for was information on the Pythagorean Theorem for students to find material for a research project.




a.  Appropriateness
Both sites are appropriate for high school students to use and from the links that I did click on, nothing seem inappropriate .
b.  Usability
Both sites were easy to use and their page layouts are not messy and confusing.   There are various tabs that allow for searches of material (i.e.  basic search, advance search and publication search)
c.  Content
In searching for information on the Pythagorean Theorem I found that both sites really didn't produce enough  information  that I would want my students to look for.  InfoTrac Junior barely had anything on the subject while InfoTrac Student had more news articles, journals and books available.   The one thing, however, that is making me think both databases wouldn't be useful on the subject of the Pythagorean Theorem is the fact that there are articles that contain the words Pythagorean Theorem but have nothing to do with its creator or how it is used.
d.  Credibility
Although the both databases didn't impress me when searching for the Pythagorean Theorem,  I would still let students know about both.  There are other topics in math and other subject areas where both databases could prove very useful to students.

2.  The database I took a look at was the General Reference Center Gold.  I chose to do a search on cyber bullying since it has been a hot topic in schools across the country for the past couple of years.



a.  Appropriateness
Yes, this site is appropriate for students to use in researching information on the topic of cyber bullying.
b. Usability
Just like the other sites, this one easy to use and its page layouts are not messy and confusing.   There are various tabs that allow for searches of material (i.e.  basic search, advance search and publication search).
c.  Content
I did find the content  to contain reliable information that would be useful for students doing research on the topic.  I also clicked on several videos that were a part of the search.   The only downside was that I had to install Flip4Mac software in order to view some of the Windows Media videos.


d.  Credibility
The General Reference Center Gold just like the others is creditable and useful.  And just like the other databases, students will either find a wealth of sources or very little depending on what they are searching.
  
3.  Citation for a video in MLA format using the citation tool in MEL:



4.  A citation using EasyBib










No comments:

Post a Comment